Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Moshup's Bridge"

Storyteller Jonathan Perry, who works at the the Peabody Essex Museum, retells a Wampanoag trickster tale called "Moshup's Bridge." It's a great story explaining some of the geographic features around Martha's Vineyard off the coast of Massachusetts. Chris Piers, a friend of mine from the D.C. Conspiracy who does some editing for Image Comics, will be doing the art. He's researching various aspects of the story right now--proper clothing for the area, how certain rock and land formations look--but he did this quick sketch of Moshup when he learned he was pairing with Jonathan. I really like this drawing because with just a few quick lines, Chris conveys the power of Moshup in the context of the setting.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I banged that out so fast 'cuz I based the loose design off of an old Toth drawing! I ended up adjusting the design to fit various things Mr. Perry, the author explained when it moved onto the thumbnail and illustrated pages stage. This is the first time I saw that my first sketch was posted online and I didn't want anyone to think I was swiping - that sketch was for my benefit, not the finished publication.